Tuesday, June 4, 2013

This week my wife and I are preparing for a long awaited vacation. I've spent time ensuring there are no loose ends at church as well as putting our house in order. Then the thought hit me, why am I doing all of this just for a vacation? Shouldn't I be doing this everyday? It reminded me of what James said:
13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit."
14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. James 4:13-14 (NASB)
I can't deny the excitement my wife are experiencing at the prospect of a week away, but I know from experience that at the end of that week, I'll be missing my home, my kids, my friends and family. Even my dogs. The things we miss most are usually the most important. When we strip all of the things away we are left with a realization that our relationships (even with our pets) are what is most important. Which led me to my next question, am I as excited about seeing Jesus face to face? I'm making preparations for a vacation, but am I making those same preparations for eternity? Am I loving and living in such a way that when tomorrow never comes here on earth, the footprints I leave behind lead to Jesus?
So I guess for me the answer is not to live like there is no tomorrow  (I still make plans and have goals) but I'll live with the knowledge tomorrow isn't promised on earth, but eternity is assured with my Savior and friend, Jesus. And I want people to meet this friend I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment